Are you looking for ways to make worthwhile contributions to your city and pass along its wonderful history to others?
The Old Colony History Museum needs volunteers. Donating your time, interest, and energy can help the Museum in diverse ways to advance the mission of our Museum.
Thank you for your interest in our volunteer opportunities. If you have any questions, feel free to call our main line, 508.822.1622, or send an email to email@example.com.
- A warm, professional demeanor and knowledge of Museum programs are important particularly in positions where interaction with the Museum guest will likely occur.
- Volunteers are responsible for attending the orientation and training sessions.
- Most volunteer positions require you to be available during regular Museum hours, however some positions may require weekend hours and evening hours for special events.
- Volunteers are required to undergo a background check, including a CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information) request.
As a volunteer we ask you to:
- Participate in a training program
- Establish a regular schedule and commit to it
- Serve as a “goodwill ambassador” for the Museum
- Enjoy yourself!
The Museum will provide:
- A vibrant, exciting, and engaging work environment
- A real opportunity to contribute to the growth of the Museum
- The chance to meet new people, develop new skills, and learn new things
- Individual Membership upon completion of training and 40 service hours
We seek to build an inclusive workforce and environment. We welcome and support people of all races, ethnicity, cultures and religions and seek to foster teamwork and effective partnerships among our staff. The talent, energy and skills of volunteers enable the Museum to serve all members of the general public, including children, families, adults, and specialists.
The museum receives many volunteer applications from interested, qualified individuals. We do our best to match interested volunteers with available opportunities. To maximize the potential for a good fit between volunteer and prospective positions, please indicate your areas(s) of interest on the application.
|Visitor Experience Volunteers||Become an essential element of the museum’s frontline by creating a friendly and comfortable environment for visitors to experience our museum and library. As a Visitor Experience Volunteer you will warmly welcome visitors as they arrive, process admissions, help with way finding, and recommend things to see and do within the museum and the area. We are seeking individuals that enjoy working with the public, have a positive attitude, excellent customer service and that are eager to make a visitors experience at the OCHM one to remember.|
|Docents||Interpret the OCHM’s collections for school, community and adult groups by leading interactive, hands-on tours through our galleries. This position is available year-round, with the opportunity for outside walking tours from April through November.|
|Program and Activities Team||Playing is fun for all ages, and as an Education Volunteer you will help families with hands-on activities and workshops and help them interpret, explore and learn all while having fun! You will also be an essential part of the robust OCHM Field Trip program. You will have the opportunity to implement educational programming for the students of the surrounding schools as well other community groups. We are seeking dynamic, high energy individuals who are comfortable interacting with kids of all ages, and in group settings. These Volunteers will be scheduled as needed.|
|Event Support||The best days at the OCHM are the busy ones filled with smiling faces! If you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment this is the right position for you! This is an as-needed job for special functions such as exhibit openings, lectures, and whatever we may have going on. Duties may include greeting guests, exhibition and event attendants, and serving as ushers, ticket takers, set-up, and clean-up crew.|